As we learn of ways to support Girl Scouts affected by recent hurricanes in Texas and Florida, we will post resources here:
- Make an immediate contribution to GSUSA to support the Disaster Relief Fund. http://www.girlscouts.org/en/adults/donate/disaster-relief.html This fund will provide support to councils that have been affected by hurricanes recently. GSUSA has lifted the fundraising ban for girls as well, so please consider having girls ask for donations during the fall sale or come up with creative ideas on your own!
- Troop leaders: Get your girls involved and help them make a difference in the life of a sister Girl Scout! Print and decorate a Trefoil with a special note of encouragement and mail it along with a donation check to: Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council, Attn: Development - Help for Harvey, 3110 Southwest Fwy., Houston, TX 77098
- Fulfill specific wish list items of girls, service unit communities, camp properties, etc. at San Jacinto Council and promote the Troop to Troop page at http://www.gssjc.org/en/our-council/Hurricane-Relief.html. Right now there are not very many choices as the council is still working with volunteers to promote the idea and assess needs.
- Find information about the status of Girl Scouts of Tropical Florida's camps here: http://www.girlscoutsfl.org/en/support-us/donate/hurricaneirma.html. How can you help Girl Scouts of Tropical Florida recover from Hurricane Irma? We have been asked by friends inside and outside Girl Scouting across the country how they can help. Donate to our TRI (Tropical Rebuilding from Irma) Fund. Studies show that girls today are not spending nearly enough time outdoors. Technology and structured activities leave less time for girls to get outside and enjoy nature. Help us rebuild our camps so girls will have plenty of opportunities to create their own outdoor adventures.
- Hurricane Irma devastated Girl Scouts of Gateway Council’s camp properties North Fork Leadership Center and Camp Kateri. The extent of the damage varies from severe flooding in camp buildings, damaged equipment, downed trees, and structural damage rendering a majority of these properties unusable. The girls and volunteers of Girl Scouts of Gateway Council depend on these properties to provide quality time outdoors for educational programs, troop activities, and trainings. To donate or for more information, click here. More info on relief efforts from the council here.
- Support Girl Scouts of Caribe Council (Puerto Rico). Although they have not publicized specific needs yet, you can find an address for where to send financial donations here.